Run-up Events of each edition of the Marathon
VM has built a tradition for organizing unique run-up events with each edition. Such events create great excitement as they motivate all citizens to participate, and enjoy themselves, while setting new benchmarks and adding new chapters to Vadodara’s story.
- 1st edition (VM 2009):
World’s largest canvas painting by school students set Guinness World Record; and a lazer show on history and culture of Vadodara.
2nd edition (VM 2011) run-up events were cleanliness campaigns and tree plantation drives; connected to its theme, “Clean Vadodara, Green Vadodara”.
3rd edition (VM 2012) celebrated 150th birth anniversary of Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III with various run-up events and release of a book on the Maharaja.
- 4th edition (VM 2013) was a part of Unity Run of Government of Gujarat, promoting the message of unity and oneness among all citizens.
- 5th edition (VM 2016) run-up events included “Human Saankal”- chain of citizens to promote high voter turn-out, FitZus (Fitness Zumbas), Marathon hour in gyms, walks and mini-marathons in Kamatibaug. The first midnight Queen’s Run, a special 5Km only for women, was held with a Ratri Bazaar where the stalls were managed by women entrepreneurs.
- 6th edition (VM 2017) had many run-up events:
- VM celebrated Global Running Day and dedicated Vadodara’s first hanging sculpture “Water and Me” to the city, on 1st June 2016; which was unveiled at Kamatibaug to promote water conservation. All the invitees and participants ran 1Km around the garden.
- VM celebrated International Yoga Day, by arranging for 150 under-privileged children to learn yoga with the Commandant, 1100 Officers and Jawans of EME on 21st June 2016. During the event, famous painter Shri Ganesh Gohain created an oil-on-canvas painting “Horizon- A new beginning”, which was later presented by VM to the EME Commandant.
- Vadodara Marathon Relay Race was held on 28th August to celebrate National Sports Day. The event was flagged off by Hon. Minister of Sports, Govt. of Gujarat, Shri Rajendrabhai Trivedi. The event was a huge success with the participation of 121 teams. Each team of 4 members ran a total of 10Km distance, with each member having to run 2.5km. There were 18 all-female teams, of which 8 were girls’ teams. Winning teams were presented medals and trophies.
- On 13th November, VM supported TCCB (The Cycling Club of Baroda) to organize the Triathlon Challenge, where 50 tri-athletes battled it out in various categories for swimming, cycling and running.
- VM organized India’s first and only “Queens’ Neon Run” on 27th November; a 5Km run solely for girls and women, wearing specially designed pink T-shirts. This exciting Run was flagged off by Maharani Radhikaraje Gaekwad, other dignitaries and VM Brand Ambassadors. Special Invitees were 3 women- breast cancer survivors; who shared their stories of courage, positivity and hope. Over 4,000 female participants registered for the Run; and 3,000 girls and women participated. The Queens’ Neon Run supported the causes of Breast Cancer Awareness and its early detection, showcasing Vadodara as a ‘Safe Smart City’, and Mission Clean Vadodara campaign.
7th edition of MG Vadodara International Marathon (MGVM) had novel run-up events:
- TCCB Olympic & Super Sprint Triathlon by TCCB (The Cycling Club of Baroda), supported by MGVM, is an annual event featuring athletes from different cities. The MGVM TCCB Challenge 2017, held on 29th October 2017, saw 85 athletes battling it out over 3 grueling competitions- swimming, cycling and running.
- “Women at the Wheel”, by MGVM in collaboration with YI (Young Indians), was a unique car rally for women drivers and participants, held on the evening of 16th December 2017. The rally had 45 cars participating; and the cars were decked up to promote awareness on the themes of Swachhata, Women’s Empowerment, Gift an Organ, and Girl child education and rights. The judges evaluated the designs of the cars, spoke to their crews and decided on the winners. Prizes were awarded to the top 3 best decorated cars, with their crew, according to the themes.
- There were 2 Press Conferences to announce the details of the 8th edition of MGVM; ensuring full coverage for the Marathon.
8th edition of MG Vadodara International Marathon (MGVM) had these pre-events:
- “Epreuve de Force”- Race to Maachi, organized by TCCB (The Cycling Club of Baroda), supported by MGVM, was held on 22nd April 2018. This tested the cyclists’ endurance as they raced up the Pavagadh mountain. Prizes were awarded by MGVM to the top 3 finalists, along with participation medals for all the cyclists.
- Super Sprint Triathlon by TCCB (The Cycling Club of Baroda), supported by MGVM, was again held on 7th October 2018. Prizes were awarded by MGVM to the top 3 finalists, along with participation medals for all the cyclists.
- The 2nd edition of “Women at the Wheel” car rally was organized for women drivers and participants, on 8th December 2018. The themes were Gift an Organ, Women Empowerment, Recycle-Reduce-Reuse, Masoom- Good Touch/Bad Touch, and Road Safety. Once again, the judges evaluated all the cars, with prizes awarded to 3 best decorated cars. The event ended with a fun catwalk for participants.
- There were 2 Press Conferences to announce the details of the 8th edition; where VM felicitated Ms. Sarita Gayakwad, who was part of Indian women’s 4x400 metres relay team that won gold medal at 2018 Asian Games; and was announced as International Brand Ambassador for 9th edition of MGVM.