Causes we support - MGVM 2022
Supporting initiatives for a sustainable ecosystem and biodiversity conservation has been a focal point through many editions of Vadodara Marathon.
This edition of MGVM proudly supports the cause of Vaho Vishwamitri Abhiyan (VVA), a flagship project of Community Science Centre, for advocacy, awareness and holistic development of the river Vishwamitri. VVA plans to organize 134 km long Maha Padayatra event, from 16-23 January, to generate awareness among the civic and government authorities, as well as people living in cities and villages especially on the banks of the river.
The main objective of the Vishwamitri Maha Padayatra is to “Know Your River” aimed at generating people connect, with awareness about the river Vishwamitri:
- Historical and cultural significance to Vadodara, Gujarat and India.
- Need and actions for implementing the holistic plan
- People’s participation for tree plantation (Bioshield), waste to bio-composting and ecosystem conservation
Other causes we support
Vadodara Marathon (VM) was incepted in 2009; as a not for profit organization under Section 25 of the Companies Act. Vadodara Marathon (VM) enthuses and encourages citizens to adopt a fitness oriented and healthy lifestyle.
Vadodara Marathon’s motto of “Sports, Seva, Swachchata” is at the core of all the activities, supporting various social and civic causes. Vadodara Marathon, or VM, offers a platform to l NGOs and Divyang Associations to increase their visibility, raise awareness and funds for their causes.
Below is a brief of all the editions of Vadodara Marathon and the causes it supported.
- The 9th edition of MGVM was held on Sunday, 5th January 2020, with Title Sponsor MG Motor and Powered by Alembic. This edition of the Marathon promoted the fitness themes of #HumFitTohIndiaFit and #FitIndia, along with special focus on water conservation.
- The 8th edition of MGVM was held on Sunday, 6th January 2020, with Title Sponsor MG Motor and Powered by Alembic. This edition of the Marathon promoted the causes of Organ Donation awareness, Say No to Plastics awareness (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle), and Swacchhata.
- The 7th edition of MG Vadodara International Marathon was held on Sunday, 7th January 2018, with Title Sponsor MG, and was celebrated as a “7 star Marathon”. This edition celebrated the Spirit of Vadodara, as a tribute to Vadodara being recognized as one of the Top 10 “Smart Cities” of India. The cause of “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” was taken forward in collaboration with Vadodara Municipal Corporation for its initiative called Nirmalayam- Clean and Green Vadodara.
- The 6th edition of Vadodara International Marathon was held on 6th February 2017, as India’s first cashless marathon, in support of the digital age. This edition saw the first International Full Marathon, as part of the Timed Runs.
- The 5th edition was held on 7th February 2016, with Title Sponsor OPaL. The Marathon tied up with Khel Mahakumbh, a grand sporting event organized by Government of Gujarat, to promote sports across the state, among all ages. This edition of the Marathon supported the cause of “Gatisheel Gujarat”, Swachhata, and Women’s Empowerment (IT Skills development).
- The 4th edition of Vadodara International Half Marathon was held on 15th December 2013 as part of the Unity Run conducted by Government of Gujarat, promoting the message of unity and oneness among all citizens.
- The 3rd edition of the Marathon was held on 5th February 2012, to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, with a sporting and cultural extravaganza.
- The 2nd edition of the Marathon was held on Sunday, 23rd January 2011. This edition promoted initiatives revolving around its theme, “Clean Vadodara, Green Vadodara”, with a mascot “Bako” being used to create awareness and build a cleanliness attitude among the citizens of Vadodara.
- The 1st edition of Vadodara Marathon was held on 22nd November 2009, in support of Vadodara Traffic Education Trust (VTET). The theme of the Marathon was to encourage fitness, running and sports among the citizens.